In recognition of the great work that organisations are doing to eradicate poverty, the judges asked the Southern Africa Trust to introduce a new Chairperson’s award this year. The award is given to outstanding organisations or individuals who may not have met all the criteria for the awards or may not have been nominated, but are making a noteworthy contribution to driving systemic change in the way things are done in the southern Africa region.
The Yeoville Community School is a learning institution for children between 6 and 12 years old, from grades Reception to 7. Seventy percent (70 %) of the children at the school are documented and undocumented immigrants from the DRC, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Angola with the remaining 30% coming from poor South African families. The school goes well beyond the normal education curriculum, focusing also on educating it’s children and the surrounding community on inter-cultural diversity as a contribution against xenophobia. The Yeoville Community School is a driver of change by providing access to education to undocumented poor migrant children, in the face of the South African education system’s hostility towards accepting undocumented migrants into the system. It is also a driver of change by being an outstanding example of how possible it is to build a united regional community in southern Africa. “The school sends the right message about real learning for a better future in our region” said the Judges.
Subject us gov and politics subject x2 us gov and prothesiswriter.com/ politics new york v.